Trump Announces $5B Gaza Reconstruction Pledges/ Newslooks/ WASHINGTON/ J. Mansour/ Morning Edition/ President Donald Trump says his newly formed Board of Peace has secured $5 billion in pledges to rebuild Gaza. The announcement is expected at the board’s inaugural meeting in Washington. Indonesia has committed up to 8,000 troops for a potential stabilization mission.


Trump Board of Peace Gaza Reconstruction Quick Looks
- $5 billion pledged for Gaza reconstruction
- Formal announcement set for Thursday in Washington
- Indonesia preparing up to 8,000 troops for mission
- Gaza rebuilding estimated to cost $70 billion
- International stabilization force part of ceasefire plan
- Some U.S. allies decline participation

Deep Look: Trump Says Board of Peace Secures $5 Billion for Gaza Reconstruction Ahead of First Meeting
President Donald Trump announced Sunday that members of his newly established Board of Peace have pledged $5 billion toward rebuilding the war-devastated Gaza Strip, marking the group’s first major initiative since its formation.
The funding commitments, along with plans to deploy thousands of personnel to a stabilization force, will be formally unveiled when the board convenes for its inaugural meeting in Washington on Thursday, Trump said.
“The Board of Peace will prove to be the most consequential International Body in History, and it is my honor to serve as its Chairman,” Trump wrote in a social media post announcing the pledges.
Funding and Security Commitments
While Trump did not identify which nations are contributing financially or committing personnel, Indonesia’s military confirmed Sunday that up to 8,000 troops are expected to be ready by the end of June for a possible deployment to Gaza as part of a humanitarian and peacekeeping mission. The pledge represents the first clear commitment of manpower to the proposed stabilization force.
The Board of Peace includes more than 20 members, though it remains unclear how many will attend the first meeting. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who met with Trump at the White House last week, is not expected to participate in the Washington gathering.
The Scope of Gaza’s Reconstruction Challenge
Rebuilding Gaza will be an immense undertaking. Estimates from the United Nations, the World Bank and the European Union place reconstruction costs at approximately $70 billion. Much of the territory suffered severe destruction after more than two years of fighting between Israel and Hamas.
The Oct. 10 U.S.-brokered ceasefire agreement sought to halt the prolonged war. Although large-scale combat has diminished, Israeli forces have continued targeted airstrikes and maintain a strong presence in certain areas.
The ceasefire framework calls for the creation of an armed international stabilization force tasked with maintaining order and ensuring the disarmament of Hamas — a central demand of Israel. To date, few countries have publicly expressed willingness to join such a force.
A Broader International Mandate
Initially conceived as a mechanism to help end the Israel-Hamas war, the Board of Peace has evolved into a body with broader ambitions. Trump has indicated that the organization could play a role in resolving global crises beyond the Middle East.
The initiative appears to align with Trump’s longstanding skepticism of multilateral institutions, particularly the United Nations. Several U.S. allies in Europe and elsewhere have declined to join the board, citing concerns that it could serve as an alternative to the U.N. Security Council and disrupt the post-World War II international order.
Meeting Venue Sparks Controversy
Thursday’s inaugural meeting will be held at the U.S. Institute of Peace, which the State Department announced in December would be renamed the Donald J. Trump U.S. Institute of Peace.
The venue has become the subject of litigation following actions taken by the administration last year to seize the building and dismiss much of the nonprofit institute’s staff. Former employees and executives have challenged those moves in court.
Despite the controversy, the administration appears determined to position the institute as the headquarters for its new diplomatic initiative.
Unanswered Questions
Key details about the Board of Peace remain unclear, including the identities of all participating nations and the specific structure of the proposed stabilization force.
Observers also question how the pledged $5 billion fits into the much larger $70 billion reconstruction estimate. Analysts note that even with significant initial funding, sustained international cooperation would be necessary to rebuild housing, infrastructure and public services across Gaza.
As Thursday’s meeting approaches, attention will focus on whether additional countries formally join the initiative and how the administration outlines the board’s long-term objectives.
For now, Trump’s announcement signals an effort to assert U.S. leadership in shaping Gaza’s postwar future while redefining the mechanisms of international conflict resolution.








You must Register or Login to post a comment.