Top StoryUS

Trump Border Czar Announces Minnesota Drawdown, Small Force Remains

Trump Border Czar Announces Minnesota Drawdown, Small Force Remains/ Newslooks/ WASHINGTON/ J. Mansour/ Morning Edition/ White House border czar Tom Homan says most immigration agents are leaving Minnesota after a major enforcement surge. A “small” security force will remain temporarily to protect agents and respond to unrest. The drawdown follows criticism, protests and two fatal shootings during the operation.

White House border czar Tom Homan holds a news conference at the Bishop Whipple Federal building on Thursday, Feb. 12, 2026 in Minneapolis. (Leila Navidi /Star Tribune via AP)

Minnesota Immigration Enforcement Drawdown Quick Looks

  • Over 1,000 agents have already left Minnesota
  • Hundreds more set to depart this week
  • “Small” security force to remain temporarily
  • Operation Metro Surge labeled DHS’s largest effort
  • Two U.S. citizens killed during enforcement actions
  • Mass deportations to continue nationwide
White House border czar Tom Homan holds a news conference at the Bishop Whipple Federal building on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026 in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

Deep Look: Trump Border Czar Says Small Security Force Will Remain in Minnesota After Enforcement Drawdown

White House border czar Tom Homan said Sunday that the Trump administration is scaling back its large-scale immigration enforcement operation in Minnesota’s Twin Cities, with more than 1,000 federal agents already departing and hundreds more expected to leave in the coming days.

Appearing on CBS’ “Face the Nation,” Homan confirmed that while most officers assigned to the operation are returning to their original posts or being reassigned elsewhere, a limited security presence will remain in place temporarily.

A “small” security force will stay behind, he said, to protect immigration agents still operating in the area and to respond if tensions escalate during enforcement activities. Homan did not specify how many officers would constitute that smaller force.

Major Drawdown After Enforcement Surge

The enforcement initiative — dubbed “Operation Metro Surge” by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement — was described by the Department of Homeland Security as the largest immigration operation in its history.

At its peak, thousands of federal officers were deployed to the Minneapolis–St. Paul region. Homan said more than 1,000 individuals had already been removed and that several hundred more removals were expected by early this week.

“We’ll get back to the original footprint,” Homan said, referring to pre-surge staffing levels.

Last week, he announced that 700 officers would depart immediately, though more than 2,000 remained in the state at that time. He later confirmed that a “significant drawdown” would continue through the week.

Protests and Fatal Incidents Spark Criticism

The operation faced mounting scrutiny as protests became increasingly frequent in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Community groups organized to warn immigrants about enforcement activity, monitor agents and record interactions.

The situation grew more volatile following the fatal shootings of two U.S. citizens, Renee Good and Alex Pretti, by federal officers during enforcement actions. The incidents prompted public condemnation and raised questions about officer conduct. Authorities subsequently made operational adjustments.

Homan said that despite the drawdown, investigations into alleged fraud and protest-related disruptions — including a demonstration that interrupted a church service — would continue.

Enforcement Continues Nationwide

Homan emphasized that immigration enforcement in the Twin Cities would not cease entirely and that deportation operations would continue across the country.

Officers leaving Minnesota will either return to their original stations or be reassigned to other regions where federal authorities deem additional resources necessary.

When asked whether future enforcement efforts could match the scale of the Minnesota deployment, Homan said such decisions would depend on evolving circumstances.

The Minnesota operation marks one of the most high-profile enforcement actions of the Trump administration’s renewed immigration crackdown, highlighting ongoing debates over the scope and impact of federal immigration policy.


More on US News

Previous Article
Europe Says Russia Poisoned Alexei Navalny With Dart Frog Toxin
Next Article
Obama Clarifies Alien Remarks, Denies Contact Evidence

How useful was this article?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this article.

Latest News

Menu