Top StoryUS

Trump Slashes 500 Jobs At Voice Of America Despite Legal Challenges

Lawsuit Challenges Trump Shutdown of Voice of America

Trump Slashes 500 Jobs At Voice Of America Despite Legal Challenges/ Newslooks/ WASHINGTON/ J. Mansour/ Morning Edition/ The Trump administration announced over 500 job cuts at Voice of America (VOA) and its parent agency, despite ongoing legal battles over the network’s future. Acting USAGM CEO Kari Lake said the reductions will streamline operations, while critics accuse her of dismantling U.S. international media. Federal courts continue to scrutinize the legality of the moves.

FILE – Kari Lake speaks at the Conservative Political Action Conference, CPAC, Feb. 21, 2025, in Oxon Hill, Md. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana, File)

Voice of America Job Cuts Quick Looks

  • Scale: 532 jobs cut from VOA and USAGM.
  • CEO: Kari Lake initiated layoffs despite federal court orders.
  • Court Oversight: Judge Royce Lamberth blocked attempts to fire VOA Director Michael Abramowitz.
  • Employee Lawsuit: Workers sued to stop VOA’s elimination, call actions unlawful.
  • Timing: Layoffs follow June notices affecting 600+ employees.
  • Remaining Staff: 158 at USAGM and 108 at VOA retained.
  • Mission: USAGM oversees VOA, Radio Free Europe/Asia, Radio Martí.
  • Impact: Networks reach 427 million people worldwide.
  • History: Founded in WWII and the Cold War to counter authoritarianism.
  • Next Step: Lake ordered to testify under oath by Sept. 15.

Deep Look

Trump Moves to Slash VOA Workforce Despite Judge’s Block on Firings

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is moving forward with sweeping layoffs at Voice of America (VOA) and its parent agency, even as federal courts press the government to justify its actions.

On Friday, Kari Lake, the acting CEO of the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM), announced a “reduction in force” (RIF) eliminating 532 jobs, including hundreds at VOA.

The announcement came just a day after U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth blocked efforts to remove VOA Director Michael Abramowitz, ruling that the move would be unlawful without approval from the International Broadcasting Advisory Board. Lamberth, a Reagan appointee, said Lake’s attempt to sidestep oversight was “plainly contrary to law.”


Lake Pushes Ahead Despite Court Ruling

In her social media statement, Lake defended the cuts:

“We will continue to fulfill our statutory mission after this RIF — and will likely improve our ability to function.”

Lake added that more restructuring steps were expected, framing the move as a way to fix what she called a “broken agency” and to amplify America’s voice abroad.

But for many employees, the cuts feel like an attempt to dismantle U.S. international broadcasting.

A group of agency workers who filed a lawsuit said the firings give staff just 30 days before pay and benefits end.

“We find Lake’s continued attacks on our agency abhorrent,” the employees wrote. “We look forward to her deposition to determine whether her dismantling of VOA followed the review Congress requires. So far, we’ve seen no evidence.”


The cuts come amid months of bitter legal disputes.

Lake herself is scheduled to testify under oath by September 15.


Scope of the Cuts

According to court filings:

This downsizing leaves the future of America’s largest government-backed international broadcaster uncertain.


Why VOA Matters

Founded during World War II, Voice of America has been a key pillar of U.S. public diplomacy. Along with Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Radio Free Asia, and Radio Martí, the network reaches an estimated 427 million people worldwide.

Its mission has long been to counter authoritarian propaganda and promote U.S. values abroad, especially in countries where free press is restricted.

Critics argue that Lake’s layoffs severely undermine this mission at a time of growing global authoritarian influence.


What Comes Next?

The Trump administration insists the agency will function more efficiently with fewer staff. But ongoing lawsuits — and the looming deposition of Lake — will determine whether the courts see these moves as streamlining reform or illegal dismantling.

For now, uncertainty reigns at VOA, with hundreds of journalists and staff facing job loss while the agency’s role in global information battles hangs in the balance.



More on US News

Previous Article
Trump Picks Libertarian Health Insider Jim O’Neill For CDC
Next Article
Social Security Whistleblower Resigns After Data Risk Allegations

How useful was this article?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this article.

Latest News

Menu