Top StoryUS

Feds Charge 15 in Minnesota with Defrauding Government Social Service Programs

Feds Charge 15 in Minnesota with Defrauding Government Social Service Programs/ Newslooks/ WASHINGTON/ J. Mansour/ Morning Edition/ Federal prosecutors charged 15 people in Minnesota in connection with an alleged $90 million fraud scheme involving social service programs. Officials say the cases include Medicaid fraud, child care fraud, and false autism diagnoses used to obtain government funds. The announcement came as Feeding Our Future founder Aimee Bock received a nearly 42-year prison sentence in a related federal corruption case.

Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. attends an event on health care affordability in the Oval Office at the White House, Thursday, April 23, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

Minnesota Fraud Investigation Quick Looks

  • Federal prosecutors charged 15 people in Minnesota.
  • Authorities allege more than $90 million in fraud.
  • The investigation involves Medicaid and child care programs.
  • Officials described it as one of the largest fraud crackdowns in state history.
  • Some suspects allegedly falsified autism diagnoses for payments.
  • Others allegedly inflated meal counts and staffing numbers.
  • Federal investigators executed 22 search warrants earlier this month.
  • Aimee Bock was sentenced to nearly 42 years in prison.
  • Officials recovered only about $50 million of the broader $250 million scheme.
  • RFK Jr. and Dr. Mehmet Oz attended the fraud announcement.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services administrator Dr. Mehmet Oz speaks speaks during an event on health care affordability in the Oval Office at the White House, Thursday, April 23, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

Deep Look

Federal Prosecutors Announce Major Minnesota Fraud Charges

Federal authorities announced charges Thursday against 15 people accused of orchestrating large-scale fraud schemes involving Minnesota social service programs.

Assistant Attorney General Colin McDonald said the cases involve more than $90 million in alleged theft from taxpayer-funded programs.

“This is not the end of our work in Minnesota,” McDonald said during a news conference in Minneapolis.

“This is not the end of the beginning of our work in Minnesota. This is the beginning of our work in Minnesota.”

The charges represent the latest development in a sweeping federal crackdown targeting fraud tied to government-funded social service and pandemic-era assistance programs.

Charges Include Medicaid and Child Care Fraud

According to federal court documents, the alleged schemes involved multiple state and federal programs designed to help vulnerable families, children, and people with disabilities.

One defendant is accused of defrauding the Federal Child Nutrition Program and a Minnesota child care grant program by falsifying records related to meals supposedly served to children.

Another defendant allegedly inflated staffing levels and employee work hours in order to obtain additional money from a state child care assistance program.

Several cases also involve alleged Medicaid fraud connected to housing and disability services.

Federal prosecutors said two individuals who provided housing assistance allegedly inflated service hours billed to Medicaid programs.

In another case, owners of group homes serving disabled residents allegedly diverted more than $1 million in fraudulent Medicaid billings for personal luxury spending, including purchases of seven high-end vehicles.

DOJ Alleges “Largest Autism Fraud Scheme” Ever Charged

One of the most serious allegations announced Thursday involved claims that children were falsely diagnosed with autism in order to secure government payments.

McDonald described the operation as the “largest autism fraud scheme ever charged by the Department of Justice.”

Authorities allege some providers manipulated medical and service records to improperly collect government reimbursements tied to autism treatment and care programs.

Federal investigators have not yet disclosed the total number of children allegedly affected by the scheme.

The announcement came shortly after Feeding Our Future founder Aimee Bock was sentenced to nearly 42 years in federal prison.

Bock was convicted on multiple federal charges, including bribery, in one of the nation’s largest COVID-19 fraud investigations.

Federal prosecutors accused Feeding Our Future operators of exploiting relaxed pandemic-era oversight rules designed to speed economic relief during the COVID crisis.

Authorities say more than $250 million in federal funds were improperly obtained through the Minnesota operation overall, although investigators have recovered only about $50 million so far.

Bock was among the first defendants to stand trial in the broader case.

Federal Raids Expanded Earlier This Month

The latest charges follow a series of coordinated federal raids conducted earlier this month across Minnesota.

Officials previously announced that federal agents executed 22 search warrants tied to the long-running investigation.

The searches targeted businesses and organizations suspected of participating in fraud involving government-funded assistance programs.

Authorities indicated Thursday that additional investigations and possible future charges remain under review.

RFK Jr. and Mehmet Oz Attend News Conference

Thursday’s announcement featured several high-profile Trump administration officials.

Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services administrator Dr. Mehmet Oz both appeared alongside Justice Department officials during the Minneapolis news conference.

Their participation highlighted the administration’s broader focus on fraud investigations involving healthcare and government assistance programs.

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche had initially been scheduled to attend but instead remained in Washington for meetings involving the Justice Department’s controversial “anti-weaponization” compensation fund.

Officials Promise More Investigations Ahead

Federal officials emphasized that the Minnesota cases likely represent only part of a broader effort targeting fraud nationwide.

McDonald repeatedly suggested additional investigations remain ongoing.

The administration has increasingly prioritized investigations involving pandemic-era relief programs, Medicaid reimbursements, and federal child nutrition assistance.

Officials argue weak oversight during the COVID-19 emergency created opportunities for large-scale fraud schemes that continue affecting taxpayers years later.

Fraud Crackdown Becomes Political Issue

The Minnesota investigation has also become politically significant as government spending oversight remains a major national issue.

Republican lawmakers and Trump administration officials have repeatedly cited pandemic-related fraud as evidence of broader failures in federal oversight and accountability.

Democrats have argued emergency pandemic programs were implemented rapidly under extraordinary economic circumstances and helped prevent deeper economic collapse.

The scale of the Minnesota allegations is likely to intensify ongoing political debates surrounding government spending, healthcare programs, and anti-fraud enforcement efforts nationwide.

More on US News

Previous Article
Trump Eases Refrigerant Rules to Combat Rising Grocery Prices
Next Article
GOP Senators Met with Blanche on Trump’s $1.8B ‘Anti-Weaponization’ Fund

How useful was this article?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this article.

Latest News

Menu