Top StoryUS

Trump Says Iran Strikes Were Minutes Away Before Gulf Allies Intervened

Trump Says Iran Strikes Were Minutes Away Before Gulf Allies Intervened/ Newslooks/ WASHINGTON/ J. Mansour/ Morning Edition/ President Donald Trump said the U.S. was close to launching new strikes on Iran before Gulf allies urged him to delay military action. Trump credited Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the UAE with helping revive diplomatic talks aimed at preventing further conflict. The president warned that the pause is temporary and said military action remains possible if negotiations fail.

Trump Says Iran Strikes Were Minutes Away Before Gulf Allies Intervened

Trump Iran Strike Delay Quick Looks

  • Trump said strikes on Iran were “an hour away”
  • Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the UAE requested a delay
  • Trump said Gulf leaders reported progress in negotiations
  • The president warned the pause would last only briefly
  • Trump said Iran still has “a little capacity” to retaliate
  • The White House continues threatening renewed military action
  • Trump linked the conflict to preventing nuclear weapons
  • Oil markets remain volatile because of Middle East tensions
  • Trump’s approval ratings reportedly declined during the conflict
  • Diplomacy efforts remain active across the region

Deep Look

Trump Says Iran Strikes Were Imminent

President Donald Trump said Tuesday that the United States was on the verge of launching another round of military strikes against Iran before Gulf Arab allies convinced him to temporarily delay the operation.

Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump revealed that military plans had already been finalized.

“I was an hour away; we were all set to go,” Trump said. “It would’ve been happening right now.”

The president explained that leaders from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates personally appealed to him to hold off on immediate military action while negotiators pursued diplomatic progress with Tehran.

Trump had first announced the delay Monday in a Truth Social post, saying the Gulf states believed additional negotiations could still produce a peaceful solution.

Gulf Leaders Requested More Time

According to Trump, discussions with Gulf leaders took place over two days while the White House weighed renewed military operations against Iran.

“I was an hour away from making the decision to go today,” Trump said.

“They had heard I made the decision and said, ‘Sir, could you give us a couple more days because we think they’re being reasonable?’”

Trump described the diplomatic effort as a coordinated regional push involving multiple U.S. allies in the Persian Gulf.

“We’re all working together,” he said.

The president added that Gulf officials told him negotiations with Iran had recently made “a lot of progress.”

The comments highlight growing concerns among Middle Eastern governments that a wider conflict could destabilize the region and threaten critical energy infrastructure.

Trump Warns Delay Is Temporary

Despite agreeing to postpone military action, Trump emphasized repeatedly that the pause is limited and could end within days.

On Tuesday, he said the administration would only wait “for a limited period of time.”

“I’m saying two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something, maybe early next week,” Trump said.

The president also renewed warnings that the United States could quickly resume combat operations if negotiations collapse.

“We may have to give them another big hit,” Trump said about Iran.

The administration continues insisting that Iran cannot be allowed to obtain a nuclear weapon under any circumstances.

Iran’s Retaliatory Capabilities Still Concern Allies

Trump acknowledged that Gulf leaders remain worried Iran could retaliate against neighboring countries if the conflict escalates further.

Pressed about those concerns, Trump admitted Tehran still retains some ability to launch attacks despite previous military strikes.

“They still have a little capacity,” Trump said of Iran’s military capabilities. “Not much, but they have a little.”

Recent weeks have seen increased fears surrounding missile and drone attacks targeting infrastructure across the Gulf region.

Energy facilities, shipping routes, and desalination plants have all become central security concerns as tensions rise.

The Strait of Hormuz remains especially sensitive because it serves as one of the world’s most important oil shipping corridors.

Trump Says Preventing Nuclear Weapons Justifies Conflict

Trump also defended his broader approach to the Iran conflict, arguing the military pressure campaign is necessary to stop Tehran from developing nuclear weapons.

“Whether it’s popular or not popular, I have to do it,” Trump said Tuesday.

“I’m not going to let the world be blown up on my watch.”

The president linked the conflict directly to fears of potential nuclear attacks against major American cities.

He claimed Iranian nuclear weapons could threaten cities “very quick,” including Los Angeles and other population centers.

Trump argued that public support for military action increases when Americans understand the stakes involve nuclear proliferation.

Approval Ratings and Political Pressure Grow

The Iran conflict has become an increasingly important political issue for the White House.

According to figures referenced Tuesday, Trump’s approval rating has declined since the conflict intensified, with a CNN average showing approval at approximately 36%.

The administration nevertheless continues projecting confidence in its strategy.

Trump repeatedly suggested Tuesday that strong military pressure combined with diplomacy gives the United States leverage over Tehran.

At the same time, critics warn prolonged instability in the Middle East could worsen inflation, energy prices, and global economic uncertainty.

Oil markets have experienced significant volatility throughout the crisis due to fears surrounding disruptions to Gulf shipping routes.

During separate remarks Tuesday, Trump also praised a large Christian prayer event recently held in Washington as part of America’s 250th anniversary celebrations.

“Christianity, it’s a great thing for our country,” Trump said.

“The successes that we’ve had have been based on Christianity and religion.”

The event featured several administration officials and Republican lawmakers, drawing criticism from some observers concerned about the overlap between religion and government politics.

Trump dismissed those concerns and claimed churches are now experiencing renewed attendance.

“You look at churches today, they’re full,” he said.

Trump Teases Texas Senate Endorsement

The president also confirmed he plans to announce a major endorsement in the Texas Republican Senate runoff race.

Sen. John Cornyn and Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton are competing in a closely watched GOP runoff scheduled for May 26.

Trump told reporters he had already decided which candidate to support.

“There are those that say whoever I endorse is going to win,” Trump said.

“I don’t know if that’s true, but historically, that’s absolutely true.”

The endorsement is expected to carry major influence in one of the country’s most important Republican primary battles.

More on US News

Previous Article
Trump Defends White House Ballroom After Senate Funding Blow
Next Article
Trump Endorses Ken Paxton Over John Cornyn in Texas Senate Runoff

How useful was this article?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this article.

Latest News

Menu