Top StoryUS

Trump Holds Iran Strategy Meeting After Delaying Military Strike

Trump Holds Iran Strategy Meeting After Delaying Military Strike/ Newslooks/ WASHINGTON/ J. Mansour/ Morning Edition/ President Trump met with his top national security advisers to review military options involving Iran after pausing a planned strike. U.S. officials said Gulf allies urged the administration to allow more time for diplomacy amid fears of regional retaliation. The White House continues to pressure Iran for a nuclear agreement while keeping military action on the table.

President Donald Trump speaks about prescription drug prices in the South Court Auditorium in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building on the White House campus, Monday, May 18, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

Trump Iran War Plans Quick Looks

  • Trump held a high-level national security meeting Monday evening focused on Iran.
  • Officials discussed possible U.S. military strikes and diplomatic developments.
  • The meeting came hours after Trump announced a temporary pause on planned attacks.
  • Gulf leaders reportedly warned about Iranian retaliation against regional oil infrastructure.
  • Senior U.S. officials remain uncertain about Trump’s final decision on military action.
  • Trump claimed Iran faces only a short window to secure a diplomatic breakthrough.
  • Vice President JD Vance, Marco Rubio, Pete Hegseth, and CIA Director John Ratcliffe attended the meeting.
  • Mediators are reportedly urging Iran to present a more flexible nuclear proposal.
  • Trump suggested further military action remains possible if negotiations fail.

Deep Look

Trump Reviews Iran Military Options After Strike Pause

President Trump convened a meeting Monday evening with senior members of his national security team to discuss the escalating situation involving Iran, according to two U.S. officials familiar with the discussions.

The high-level session came only hours after Trump publicly announced that planned U.S. military attacks against Iran had been temporarily paused. Despite the delay, officials said the administration reviewed multiple military scenarios and discussed possible next steps if diplomacy with Tehran fails.

The meeting underscored growing tensions inside the administration as Trump balances military pressure with ongoing diplomatic negotiations over Iran’s nuclear activities.

Trump Signals Diplomacy Window Is Narrow

Trump has continued to insist that Iran has only a limited amount of time to reach a diplomatic agreement with the United States.

Speaking earlier this week, Trump said the deadline for progress could arrive within days.

“The deadline was two-three days, maybe Friday or Saturday, early next week,” Trump said.

Although Trump has repeatedly threatened military action in the past without authorizing direct strikes, officials said Monday’s military briefing demonstrated that the White House is seriously evaluating possible attack options.

According to U.S. officials, Trump had not made a final decision to strike Iran before announcing the temporary pause.

On Tuesday, Trump claimed he had been “an hour away” from authorizing military action.

Gulf Allies Warned About Regional Retaliation

Several officials familiar with the discussions said concerns raised by Gulf allies played a major role in Trump’s decision to delay military action.

Regional leaders reportedly warned the administration that Iranian retaliation could target oil facilities, energy infrastructure, and key economic assets throughout the Gulf region if the United States launched attacks.

The officials said Gulf allies encouraged Trump to give diplomacy additional time before escalating the conflict further.

The warnings highlighted fears that any direct military confrontation with Iran could rapidly spread across the Middle East and disrupt global energy markets.

Top National Security Officials Attended Meeting

The White House meeting included several of Trump’s most senior foreign policy and defense officials.

Among those attending were Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, White House envoy Steve Witkoff, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Dan Caine, and CIA Director John Ratcliffe.

Officials said the discussion focused heavily on the future direction of the Iran conflict, the status of diplomatic outreach efforts, and military strike plans under consideration by the Pentagon.

The White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment regarding the meeting.

Confusion Inside Administration Over Trump’s Direction

Despite Trump’s strong rhetoric toward Iran, several U.S. officials reportedly remain uncertain about the president’s ultimate intentions.

Some officials were caught off guard by Trump’s announcement delaying military action and admitted privately they remain unclear whether the administration is moving toward diplomacy or preparing for war.

A U.S. source close to Trump said several Iran hawks who spoke with the president after Monday’s announcement believed he was still prepared to apply extreme pressure on Tehran.

“He is in the mood of cracking their head open to get them to move in the negotiations,” the source said.

Other officials believe Trump could once again postpone military action if negotiations fail to produce immediate progress.

Iran Nuclear Talks Continue Amid Rising Pressure

Trump has repeatedly claimed that “serious negotiations” with Iran remain active, though officials indicated recent diplomatic exchanges have shown limited movement.

A senior U.S. official familiar with the talks told Axios that Iran’s latest counter-proposal failed to demonstrate meaningful progress toward resolving American concerns over Tehran’s nuclear program.

Meanwhile, regional mediators continue attempting to persuade Iranian officials to soften their position and address key U.S. nuclear demands.

The administration continues to publicly maintain that diplomacy remains the preferred path, even as military preparations remain under active review.

Trump Says More Military Action Remains Possible

Despite the temporary pause in military action, Trump made clear Tuesday that further strikes against Iran remain under consideration.

“We may have to give Iran another big hit. I am not sure yet. You will know soon,” Trump said.

The statement reinforced uncertainty surrounding the administration’s next move as tensions between Washington and Tehran continue to escalate.

More on US News

Previous Article
JD Vance Says Iran’s Negotiating Position Remains Unclear
Next Article
Mosque Shooting 3 Victims Identified as San Diego Community Mourns

How useful was this article?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this article.

Latest News

Menu