Updated: Gaza Civilians Shot Approaching Aid, Dozens Hurt \ Newslooks \ Washington DC \ Mary Sidiqi \ Evening Edition \ Israeli troops opened fire near an aid site in Gaza, killing at least three and injuring dozens. UN and aid groups criticize Israel’s new aid system, citing danger and violations of humanitarian norms. Additional airstrikes and a West Bank killing add to the rising death toll amid the ongoing Israel-Hamas conflict.

Quick Looks
- Israeli military fired warning shots at civilians near aid hub.
- At least three killed, over 50 injured by gunfire or shrapnel.
- Strike on northern Gaza home kills 14, including women, children.
- West Bank teen also shot by Israeli forces same day.
- UN, aid agencies condemn new aid system as unsafe and unethical.
- Over 54,000 Palestinians killed since war began in October 2023.
Deep Look
Tensions in Gaza intensified Monday after Israeli troops opened fire near a humanitarian aid distribution point, killing at least three Palestinians and wounding over 50 others. The incident, which unfolded around dawn near the Flag Roundabout in southern Gaza, has drawn international condemnation and raised further concerns about the safety and structure of Israel’s new aid distribution system, which critics say places civilians in harm’s way.
The Israeli military claimed it had fired warning shots at what it described as “several suspects” who approached soldiers and posed a threat. These individuals were reportedly around a kilometer from the aid site operated by the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF), an entity supported by Israel and the United States. According to the army, the aid hub was closed at the time, and no civilians were being denied access. However, the volume of casualties tells a different story, one marked by chaos and desperation.
Shooting Follows a Deadly Pattern at the Same Location
This was not the first time such violence erupted at the Flag Roundabout. Just a day earlier, on Sunday, the same location saw a much deadlier incident. At least 31 people were killed and more than 170 injured as crowds moved toward the same aid hub. According to eyewitnesses, Israeli troops opened fire around 3 a.m. after warning civilians to disperse and return later.
Health workers and aid organizations have reported that many of those injured in the Monday shooting bore gunshot wounds or shrapnel injuries. The Red Cross field hospital received 50 injured individuals, two of whom were declared dead on arrival. Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis confirmed receiving a third body. Moataz al-Feirani, a 21-year-old survivor treated for a leg wound, said he had been walking peacefully in a crowd of thousands when soldiers opened fire. “We had nothing, and they were watching us,” he said. Surveillance drones were reportedly visible above the crowd, capturing the scene.
Despite the violence, the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation has insisted that aid deliveries on both days occurred without incident. The organization issued a statement Sunday night warning civilians to stay on the designated path to reach the aid hub. “Leaving the road is extremely dangerous,” the statement read, noting that Israeli troops would be stationed along the route for security.
International Outrage Over Civilian Deaths and New Aid System
The spike in violence has reignited debate over Israel’s new aid system, established in coordination with the U.S. to circumvent Hamas. Both nations argue that the structure prevents aid from being hijacked by militants. However, international aid groups, including U.N. agencies, have outright rejected the model, calling it a violation of humanitarian principles.
Critics argue the system places all the risk on civilians, forcing them to travel long distances through militarized zones. Instead of distributing food and medicine where people live, as the U.N. traditionally does, this model demands that Palestinians navigate hazardous routes, often within sight—and range—of Israeli forces.
U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres expressed his outrage, saying he was “appalled by the reports of Palestinians killed and injured while seeking aid in Gaza.” He added, “It is unacceptable that Palestinians are risking their lives for food,” and called for an independent investigation into the shooting incidents.
Human rights groups have echoed the U.N.’s concerns. They warn that the new distribution model not only fails to meet the needs of a starving population but actively endangers lives. “This is not humanitarian aid; it’s coercive control,” said a spokesperson from Médecins Sans Frontières. “Civilians should not have to walk past tanks and snipers to get flour and water.”
Additional Strikes Compound the Tragedy
Later on Monday, the humanitarian crisis deepened further. An Israeli airstrike targeted a residential building in the crowded Jabaliya refugee camp in northern Gaza. Fourteen people were killed, including seven children and five women. The hospitals of Shifa and al-Ahli jointly confirmed the casualty numbers. As with previous strikes, the Israeli military stated that it had hit “terror targets” without providing specific details. Israel maintains that Hamas embeds its operations in civilian areas, using residents as human shields, a claim that has long been contested by rights organizations and independent monitors.
Meanwhile, violence spread to the occupied West Bank. A 14-year-old boy was shot dead in the village of Sinjil. The Israeli army claimed he had thrown bottles containing dangerous chemicals at soldiers, prompting them to “neutralize” the threat. The Palestinian Authority condemned the shooting, calling it yet another example of disproportionate force.
A War Without an End in Sight
The war between Israel and Hamas, which erupted on October 7, 2023, shows no signs of resolution. The initial assault by Hamas militants resulted in the deaths of 1,200 Israelis—mostly civilians—and the abduction of 251 people. Hamas still holds 58 hostages, with only about a third believed to be alive. The group has stated that it will not release the remaining captives unless Israel agrees to a permanent ceasefire, a full withdrawal from Gaza, and the release of Palestinian prisoners.
Israel, in contrast, insists that the war will continue until all hostages are freed, Hamas is defeated, and Gaza is brought under long-term Israeli control. Officials have also proposed facilitating the “voluntary emigration” of much of Gaza’s population, a plan that Palestinians and much of the global community see as an effort at forced displacement or ethnic cleansing.
According to the Gaza Health Ministry, more than 54,000 Palestinians have been killed since the conflict began. Although the ministry is part of the Hamas-run government, its figures are widely considered credible by international agencies. Israel disputes the death toll and claims it has eliminated approximately 20,000 Hamas militants, although it has not provided substantiating evidence.
Humanitarian Collapse Looms
With over two million people trapped in a war zone, the humanitarian situation is dire. International experts have warned of an impending famine, especially after Israel’s blockade of Gaza—slightly eased in recent weeks—severely restricted the flow of food, fuel, and medical supplies. Aid groups say they are overwhelmed, and that current distribution efforts are woefully inadequate.
“Children are dying of hunger and dehydration,” said a field officer for the World Food Programme. “We are seeing the beginnings of a famine, and these aid convoys are not enough.”
As Israel continues its military campaign and international negotiations for a ceasefire stall, civilians are bearing the brunt of a conflict with no clear resolution in sight.
Updated: Gaza Civilians Updated: Gaza Civilians Updated: Gaza Civilians
You must Register or Login to post a comment.