San Diego Mosque Shooting Leaves 3 Dead in Suspected Hate Crime/ Newslooks/ WASHINGTON/ J. Mansour/ Morning Edition/ Two teenage gunmen opened fire at a San Diego mosque, killing three men before taking their own lives nearby. Authorities are investigating the attack as a hate crime after discovering evidence of “generalized hate rhetoric.” Police say a mosque security guard acted heroically and likely prevented an even deadlier tragedy.



San Diego Mosque Shooting Quick Looks
- Two teenage suspects attacked the Islamic Center of San Diego
- Three men were killed in the mosque shooting
- The suspects later died by suicide nearby
- Police are investigating the attack as a hate crime
- Security guard Amin Abdullah is being hailed as a hero
- Officers were already searching for one suspect before the attack
- The mosque includes the Al Rashid School for children
- Authorities found evidence of “generalized hate rhetoric”
- Children were safely evacuated from the mosque complex
- President Donald Trump called the shooting a “terrible situation”



Deep Look
Deadly Shooting Targets San Diego Mosque
A shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego left three men dead Monday after two teenage gunmen opened fire inside the mosque before later killing themselves nearby.
Authorities are investigating the attack as a hate crime after discovering evidence that the suspects engaged in “generalized hate rhetoric,” according to San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl.
The attack targeted the largest mosque in San Diego County, a major religious and community center that also houses the Al Rashid School, which offers Arabic language and Islamic studies classes for children.
Police identified the suspects as teenagers ages 17 and 18. One of those suspects was identified as 17-year-old Cain Clark.
The gunmen died by suicide inside a vehicle a few blocks away from the mosque shortly after the shooting.
Police Were Already Searching for One Teen
Authorities revealed that officers had already been searching for one of the teenagers hours before the shooting began.
According to Chief Wahl, the search started after the mother of one suspect contacted police to report her son was suicidal and had run away from home.
Police discovered that weapons were missing from the family’s residence and that the mother’s vehicle had also disappeared.
The situation quickly escalated after investigators learned the teen had dressed in camouflage and was traveling with another individual.
Officers used automated license plate readers and other tracking tools to locate the suspects. Police also alerted a nearby school where at least one of the teenagers had reportedly been a student.
As investigators continued interviewing the suspect’s mother about possible locations, emergency calls reporting gunfire at the mosque suddenly came in.
Heroic Security Guard Credited With Saving Lives
Among those killed was mosque security guard Amin Abdullah, whom police and community members praised for his bravery during the attack.
Chief Wahl said Abdullah “played a pivotal role” in preventing the shooting from becoming even more deadly.
“It’s fair to say his actions were heroic,” Wahl said. “Undoubtedly he saved lives.”
A family friend, Shaykh Uthman Ibn Farooq, described Abdullah as a respected and familiar figure at the mosque who had worked security there for more than a decade.
“He wanted to defend the innocent so he decided to become a security guard,” Ibn Farooq said.
The Islamic Center later honored Abdullah in a public statement, calling him “a courageous man who put himself on the line of the safety of others, who even in his last moments did not stop protecting our community.”
The mosque also paid tribute to the other two victims, describing them as devoted members of the community whose absence would leave “a void that can never truly be filled.”
Children Evacuated as Police Surrounded Area
Police responded to the shooting scene within four minutes after receiving emergency calls, according to authorities.
As officers arrived, additional gunfire was reported nearby after the suspects allegedly fired at a landscaper, who survived without injuries.
The suspects were later found dead inside a stopped vehicle a few blocks from the mosque.
Television footage from the scene showed frightened children holding hands while being escorted from the mosque complex by adults and law enforcement officers.
The Islamic Center of San Diego sits in a neighborhood filled with homes, apartment complexes, Middle Eastern restaurants, and local businesses.
Parents were directed to a nearby reunification area to safely retrieve their children.
The mosque announced it would remain closed until further notice following the attack.
Community Leaders Condemn Attack
Imam Taha Hassane, director of the Islamic Center of San Diego, condemned the shooting and described it as an attack on religious freedom and community safety.
“It’s extremely outrageous to target a place of worship,” Hassane said.
He noted that the center regularly promotes interfaith outreach and community engagement.
Earlier Monday, a group of non-Muslim visitors had reportedly toured the mosque to learn more about Islam and the local Muslim community.
The mosque’s mission statement says the organization works not only to serve Muslims but also to support the broader community through education, charitable outreach, and social programs.
Hate Crime Investigation Continues
Authorities said there was no known specific threat directed at the mosque before the attack.
However, investigators uncovered evidence indicating the suspects had expressed hateful rhetoric, leading police to classify the shooting as a suspected hate crime.
Search warrants were expected to be executed Tuesday as investigators continue examining the suspects’ backgrounds, communications, motivations, and online activity.
The attack comes amid broader concerns about rising threats against houses of worship across the United States.
Mosques, synagogues, churches, and other religious institutions have increased security in recent years due to growing fears surrounding hate crimes and politically motivated violence.
Muslim Advocacy Groups Respond
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), one of the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights organizations, strongly condemned the attack.
“No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at an elementary school,” said CAIR-San Diego Executive Director Tazheen Nizam.
Community members gathered in prayer and mourning Monday night as tributes continued for the victims and survivors.
President Donald Trump also commented on the shooting, calling it a “terrible situation.”
Authorities said the investigation remains active as detectives work to determine what led the teenagers to carry out the deadly attack.








You must Register or Login to post a comment.