A cause of death has been determined for singer Aaron Carter. The musician, 34, drowned after inhaling difluoroethane and taking alprazolam, according to the Los Angeles Country Medical Examiner-Coroner. Difluoroethane is a gas often used in cans of compressed air, while alprazolam is the generic form of brand-name Xanax. The report states Carter was “incapacitated while in the bathtub” as the drugs took effect, slipping under the surface of the water and ultimately drowning. The Associated Press has the story:
Aaron Carter drowned in tub due to drugs
Newslooks- LOS ANGELES (AP)
Carter, the younger brother of the Backstreet Boys’ Nick Carter, was found submerged and dead at age 34 in the bathtub of his home in Lancaster, California, on Nov. 5, the autopsy report from the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner said.
The sedative alprazolam, often sold under the brand name Xanax, was found in his system, as was the compressed gas difluoroethane, which the report says is “a gas commonly used as a propellant in air spray cleaners,” which “can induce feelings of euphoria when inhaled.”
The two substances made him incapacitated in the tub, and caused the drowning, the report said.
The autopsy was performed the day after Carter’s death, but the results were withheld for toxicology tests, which often take months.